Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Happy Third Birthday!

Dear Gabe,

Happy birthday! Today is Wednesday, November 21st, but I wanted to make sure I got your birthday letter done this year! :) And I was reminded to write your letter today because we're under a snow advisory for our first snowfall of the season. In 2004, we had our first snowfall of the year on the day you were born - also the day before Thanksgiving! I love remembering the time you were born and all of the events surrounding that experience. Dad and I are SO incredibly blessed to have you. Of course, it makes me tear up to even think about how many blessings you have brought to our lives.

We are entering what I consider to be a "hard" phase. You are very verbal and opinionated and stubborn. Can't imagine who you got that from ! :) I am trying so hard to figure out how to help you learn about anger and frustration and disappointment. It is by far the hardest job I've ever had. And I am learning so much about myself in the process. I need to learn how to do a better job with those emotions myself. It was very poignant the other day when you told me you don't like it when Mommy is mean! Yikes! You think I'm mean when I won't let you have your way - which is my job some of the time - but it did make me chuckle and have second thoughts about how I must come across to you. I just want you to know I try really hard to get it right! ;)

Your vocabulary is very funny. You say things like, "I fell down graciously" or, "I would surely LOVE to do that!" or, "Actually... probably." You have a lot of grown-up words, and it is really funny to hear those thoughts coming out of a small child. You also have a really strong ability to reason, so you keep us on your toes! And you ask, "Why" almost constantly!

We are still struggling with the infertility stuff, and I feel guilty that you don't have a sibling with whom you can play. I hope we'll be able to figure something out on that issue before you turn 4. There are a lot of times when I have so much on my mind that I don't play with you as much as I would like. I'm not naive enough to think you'll never face a challenge this difficult, but when you do please know we're here for you, and we want to be the kind of parents who walk with you through your struggles. I am learning that difficult situations are always made easier when you have people to walk beside you in the midst of the darkness.

I love you so much! I can't wait to see what this fourth year of life will bring for you!

Love,
Mom

No comments: